Job title: Technical Advisor II Gender Reports to: Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality, West Africa Region
Department: West Africa Regional Office (WARO) – teleworker Salary level: ten
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency for the Catholic community in the United States. CRS is working to save, protect and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, regardless of race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance, and peacebuilding programs.
You will provide technical advice, guidance and program support in 11 countries in the West Africa region including Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Mali , Niger, Senegal (Gambia, Guinea Bissau) and the Sierra. Leon. You will support the implementation of CRS’ Global Gender Strategy, which renews CRS’ commitment to putting gender at the heart of programming and ensuring equitable participation and benefits for women and men, girls and women. boys to improve the quality of programs.
Your responsibilities will range from addressing program design and implementation issues in accordance with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines and industry best practices, providing technical support to country teams to advance the delivery of high quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your technical knowledge, advice and guidance will contribute to effective, adaptive and innovative programming in the region. All the projects in the West Africa region have a gender component, including in particular the major integrated programs financed by donors such as USAID, USDA and various foundations.
You will have strong gender programming expertise and experience, knowledge of industry standards and best practices, and strong technical writing ability (in English and French) for products such as proposals and technical studies. You will work closely with your Technical Advisor (TA) counterparts in other sectors to ensure cross-sector integration of activities and jointly advance WARO’s strategic priorities. You will also work closely with members of the Agency’s gender team. Training CRS staff on gender will also be central to your role.
- Advanced degree in international development, gender/women’s studies or related field.
- Minimum of five years of relevant international work experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with a minimum of three years of work programming gender and development interventions in either as a technical advisor or program manager, preferably in Africa.
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and developing successful proposals for external donor funding is required.
- Demonstrated experience integrating gender equality and women’s empowerment into proposals for food security development activities, including gender transformative approaches and development of analysis plans / gender concept notes
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitating and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Experience in program monitoring and evaluation, including the application of data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis and data presentation.
- Experience and skills in networking and dealing with donors, peer organizations and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
- Proficiency in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), web conferencing applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge sharing networks.
Languages required – English and French.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%.
Agency-wide competencies (for all CRS staff)
These are anchored in the mission, values and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill their responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous improvement and innovation
- Builds relationships
- Develop talent
- strategic mindset
- Accountability and Stewardship
Supervisory responsibilities (if none, indicate none): nothing
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality, RTA for WASH, health, malaria, MEAL, social cohesion and peacebuilding, SILC, agriculture, youth, etc. ; PIQA gender team; RCA on gender from other regions. Collaborate with the CRS Regional Director for West Africa, CRS Country Representatives, CRS Program Managers, Country Gender Focal Points/Program Managers and others country staff.
External: Collaborate with host country government ministries of health, other national and international NGOs, UN agencies, in particular UNICEF (regional and national levels), USAID and EU missions , local bilateral agencies, other funding agencies, WHO, local and US Catholic agencies.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and our operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the bishops of the United States to help the poor and vulnerable abroad. We welcome into our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serve those in need. CRS processes and policies reflect our commitment to protect children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, efforts, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protect children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the bishops of the United States to help the poor and vulnerable abroad. Our Catholic identity is central to our mission and operations. We welcome into our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serve those in need.
How to register